Monday, November 3, 2014

Easy Butternut Squash Soup




Since the fall is here there are a few things I always make around this time and Butternut Squash Soup is one of my favorites. Living in California for most of my life we didn’t have a lot of cold weather so I am soaking up the fall while we live in a place that actually has one. I love the leaves changing colors, the air getting cool enough for sweaters and boots, but most of all I love cuddling up with my husband and son and having some warm comforting food. Since comforting food tends to be unhealthy, especially creamy soups, I was so glad that this butternut squash soup recipe is a healthy alternative
So, here is the recipe I used and thoroughly enjoyed.
__________________________________________________________________________________ 

2 tablespoons olive oil
¼ yellow onion
1 butternut squash (cubed)
2 cups of water
2 cups of chicken broth (or I just threw in a cube of chicken bouillon)
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon of nutmeg
1 clove garlic (minced)

Peel and cube the butternut squash. 





Heat olive oil in a large pot. Place squash and onions in pot with water, chicken broth, garlic, salt, pepper and nutmeg. 

Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low and let simmer until the vegetables are tender (about 10-15 minutes). 

Once the vegetables are tender take half the contents of the pot and place them in a blender, blend until smooth. Repeat with the remaining soup. Add some salt and pepper if needed. Place blended soup in a bowl and enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS